Cate Blanchett as: Kate Wheeler
Directed by: Barry Levinson
Selected Cast: Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton & Troy Garity
Written by: Harley Peyton
Release Year: 2001
Genre: Comedy / Crime / Drama / Romance
MPAA Rating: PG-13
A charismatic convict and a hypochondriac inmate break out of prison in a cement truck and immediately start a bank robbing spree. Becoming known as the “Sleepover Bandits”, the two kidnap bank managers the night before their robbery, spend the night with their families, and then all go to the bank in the morning to get the dough. Using a dim-witted stunt man as their getaway driver and lookout, the three successfully pull off several jobs that gets them recognition on a TV show about America’s criminals. When a bored housewife with a failing marriage decides to runaway, she ends up in the hands of the criminals. Initially attracted to Willis, she nonetheless also ends up in bed with Thornton and a confused romantic relationship begins. Continuing along with their spree, the bandits hit the wall when the bank managers realize that they are non-violent and therefore no threat to them or their employees…
• Coming soon!
• Coming soon!
• Terry: “You’re insane!”
Kate Wheeler: “I’m unhappy! It’s not the same thing.”
• Terry: “Do you smell burning feathers?”
Kate Wheeler: “Burning feathers?”
Terry: “Joe’s older brother, Albert. He smelled burning feathers. He had a brain tumor.”
Kate Wheeler: “Joe doesn’t have an older brother.”
• Terry: “Kate, there are guys who leave, and there are guys who get left. I don’t think it’s any mystery as to which category I fall into.”
Kate Wheeler: “Terry, I’m not leavin’ you.”
Terry: “You’re staying?”
Kate Wheeler: “Yeah. Good night.”
• Kate Wheeler: “Oh my god! I can’t believe you KNOW that song!”
Joe: “Yeah. Bonnie Tyler. “Total Eclipse of the Heart”. It’s the ultimate sappy chick song.”
• Joe: “What’d you bring her here for?”
Terry: “One, I had no choice, two, I may have suffered a slight concussion and three, she is mentally imbalanced to a spectacular degree.”
Kate Wheeler: “I can hear you!”
• Terry: “I am a fugitive from justice! I am a dangerous criminal!”
Kate Wheeler: “Oh well that explains the hijacking!”
• Kate Wheeler: “You can’t just step in front of a moving car and expect it to stop!”
Terry: “Yes you can! I’ve seen it done!”
• Kate Wheeler: “I’ll make dinner.”
Terry: “I cook the dinners around here.”
Kate Wheeler: “Sorry. Not familiar with the outlaw code.”
• Terry: “Kate, I – I’m a desperate man.”
Kate Wheeler: “Desperate?”
Kate Wheeler: “You don’t know the meaning of the word. Desperate is when you wake up in the morning and you wish you hadn’t. It’s knowing that every time you get behind the wheel of a car you’re only a tree away from ending the empty charade that your life has become! So don’t talk to me about desperate!”
• Filmed in USA (view all.)
• Nominated for 2 Golden Globes. Another 4 wins & 5 nominations (view all.)
• Also known as ‘Outlaws’.
• Cate starred in the movie Pushing Tin (1999) with Billy Bob Thornton as well.
• Billy Bob Thornton also wrote the script for the film The Gift (2000) in which Cate starred.
• The film was originally meant to be an adaptation of Elmore Leonard’s novel “Bandits”, to which Bruce Willis owns the film rights, but the producers felt it was too weak and brought in writer Harley Peyton to write a new script from scratch.
• Val Kilmer was originally considered for the part of Joe, and Bruce Willis was originally going to play the part of Terry, but due to scheduling conflicts, Kilmer backed out, and Willis took over the part of Joe.
• Billy Bob Thornton has a phobia of antique furniture in real life, and the producers wrote it in as part of his character.
• The movie is based on two actual people who used to rob banks the same way Joe and Terry did.
• Barry Levinson did a “Director Cameo” as the last staff to the right of the camera in the studio room from Darren’s point of view when he presented “Criminals at Large” at the beginning of the film.
• Joe and Kate appear to switch sides in bed – but one of the shots is as seen in the mirror and there is no continuity error.
• In an alternate ending, Kate Wheeler is holding Joe’s and Terry’s hands while watching the wedding, and she is pregnant. Letting the viewer speculate which man is the father.