Cate Blanchett as: Lola
Directed by: Sally Potter
Selected Cast: Christina Ricci, Johnny Depp & Harry Dean Stanton
Written by: Sally Potter
Release Year: 2000
Genre: Drama / Music / Romance / War
MPAA Rating: R
A Russian Jewish father emigrates to America in 1923, with a promise to send for his mother and young daughter when he is settled. When his village is burned in a pogrom, his mother is killed and his daughter is separated from other youngsters who make it to the port to emigrate. She ends up on a ship bound for England, where she is renamed Suzie and raised by a British family. Many years later, Suzie’s talent for singing and dancing sees her accepted into a Paris dance troupe where she is befriended by Lola, a fellow dancer from Moscow. Cesar, a handsome brooding gypsy who works with the troupe later becomes her lover. Lola pursues Dante, an egotistical tenor who is performing in the area. All is well until the Nazis march into Paris, and Suzie’s Russian Jewish background places her in danger. She must decide whether to leave Cesar and her friends and continue the search for her father in America.
View more images from this category
• Coming soon!
• Coming soon!
• Lola: “It’s dangerous to love.”
• Lola: “One should never look back. One should never regret. Never.”
• Filmed in England, UK and France (view all.)
• 3 wins & 2 nominations (view all.)
• Johnny Depp asked for golden teeth to be put into his mouth to give more realism to his character.
• The scenes where the people of Paris are shown leaving town because of Nazi occupation were shot just before the morning traffic jammed the streets.
• The Place de la Concorde was used by the production as background for some scenes. This came after several weeks of negotiation between the director and producers of the movie, and the mayor of Paris, since the location is rarely closed for movie production. The scenes were shot after midnight and before 6:00 p.m.
• In the scene where Suzie is following Cesare and his friends on her bike, they go through a passage where you can see the Eiffel Tower in the background and it is lit up. However, the lights were not added to the Tower until 1986.