Cate Blanchett as: Marissa Wiegler
Directed by: Joe Wright
Selected Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Olivia Williams & Tom Hollander
Written by: David Farr & Seth Lochhead
Release Year: 2011
Genre: Action / Adventure / Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Hanna is a teenage girl. Uniquely, she has the strength, the stamina, and the smarts of a soldier; these come from being raised by her father, an ex-CIA man, in the wilds of Finland. Living a life unlike any other teenager, her upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin. The turning point in her adolescence is a sharp one; sent into the world by her father on a mission, Hanna journeys stealthily across Europe while eluding agents dispatched after her by a ruthless intelligence operative with secrets of her own. As she nears her ultimate target, Hanna faces startling revelations about her existence and unexpected questions about her humanity.
View more images from this category
• On Saoirse Ronan
“I had worked with her father on Veronica Guerin (2003). When I bumped into him at the Oscars ceremony in 2008, it was then that I realised that the little child who used to visit the set was one of the year’s nominees – Saoirse.”
“Saoirse is an extraordinary actor and an incredible presence, self-possessed and unaffected. She connects with things by drawing on her own experiences. She has a rare spirit!”
Director Joe Wright at ADR and how well the cast worked with it
• “I don’t know. Luckily most of the actors I work with are really good at ADR. Saoirse’s really good at ADR. Cate [Blanchett’s] brilliant. Most of the actors. Keira’s a genius at ADR. Some actors are and some actors are really, really rubbish at it.”
• “Because she’s just about the best actress in the world, really. She’s a very bold actress and a brave actress willing to take risks and not the kind of actress who feels she has to play the nice appealing character as so many of them do.”
• “I love Cate! She’s like a wicked witch in Hanna and she’s great. She brought her little baby Iggy [Ignatius] on to the set and he was just adorable. She’s really lovely – and she’s professional and focused, and I like to be that way, too.”
• “My dad worked with Cate on a film called Veronica Guerin and I don’t remember meeting her but she remembers meeting me as a wee child and it was great to know I was the second generation of my family to work with her. She’s a very grounded person who would sit in hair and make-up in the morning with me and be just a normal woman who is at her job but you can tell she really cares about her work.”
• Marissa Wiegler: “Sometimes children are bad people, too.”
• Filmed in Germany, Finland, UK and Morocco (view all.)
• Director Danny Boyle was developing Hanna with screenwriter Seth Lochhead in early 2009, but eventually left the project.
• The script was listed on both the 2006 and 2009 Black List, an annual list of the best unproduced screenplays of the year.
• Seth Lochhead wrote the original story and script on spec in 2006. He returned for production work in 2010.
• According to Joe Wright, Saoirse Ronan specifically requested that the studio bring him on-board to direct the film.