Cate Blanchett as: Meredith Logue
Directed by: Anthony Minghella
Selected Cast: Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law & Philip Seymour Hoffman
Written by: Patricia Highsmith & Anthony Minghella
Release Year: 1999
Genre: Crime / Drama / Thriller
MPAA Rating: R
The 1950s. Manhattan lavatory attendant, Tom Ripley, borrows a Princeton jacket to play piano at a garden party. When the wealthy father of a recent Princeton grad chats Tom up, Tom pretends to know the son and is soon offered $1,000 to go to Italy to convince Dickie Greenleaf to return home. In Italy, Tom attaches himself to Dickie and to Marge, Dickie’s cultured fiancée, pretending to love jazz and harboring homoerotic hopes as he soaks in luxury. Besides lying, Tom’s talents include impressions and forgery, so when the handsome and confident Dickie tires of Tom, dismissing him as a bore, Tom goes to extreme lengths to make Greenleaf’s privileges his own.
• Coming soon!
• Anthony Minghella, on creating and expanding the part specifically for Cate
“She’s heart-stoppingly good. She’s an exhilarating actor. Cate is completely about the work. She arrives for the work and leaves after the work, and she’s not in the market for anything other than the work at hand.”
• Gwyneth Paltrow
“Cate is just so brilliant. I can’t wait to work with her again. She really is one of the actresses I admire the most.”
• Meredith Logue: “I’m sorry, I wouldn’t have made a joke if…”
Tom Ripley: “Don’t be sorry. I’ve never been happier. I feel like I’ve been handed a new life.”
• Meredith Logue: “Dickie?”
Tom Ripley: “Hello Meredith!”
Meredith Logue: “Oh my God! I hardly even recognized you.”
Tom Ripley: “Well, you spotted me so you get the reward.”
• Filmed in Italy and USA (view all.)
• Nominated for 5 Oscars. Another 8 wins & 52 nominations (view all.)
• Also known as ‘The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley’ and ‘The Strange Mr. Ripley’.
• Cate starred in the movie The Aviator (2004) with Jude Law as well.
• Is based on the novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith. There are an additional four novels which follow ‘The Talented Mr. Ripley’, they are ‘Ripley Underground’, ‘Ripley’s Game’, ‘The Boy Who Followed Ripley’, and ‘Ripley Under Water’.
• The scenes set in New York City that open the film were originally shot in Rome but were deemed unsatisfactory and later reshot in New York City.
• When Meredith sees Tom in a store in front of the Spanish Steps, they take a walk, and come down the Spanish Steps, past the store he was just in, and turn left.
• Modern construction cranes on the Venice skyline.
• When the main characters go to the opera in Rome, the theater is the San Carlo in Naples.